Saturday, December 4, 2010

Review: SGA: Angelus

This tie-in has gotten a lot of bad reviews, from what I understand. A lot. So of course I had to read it for myself.

**
Set in the Pegasus Galaxy during Sam Carter's new tenure, three weeks after Elizabeth was lost, it's the story of a long-lost Ancient who promises to build a weapon that can destory the Replicators. The meddling IOA forces Sam to allow Angelus, the Ancient, into Alantis so they can get their grubby mitts on the weapon. Things don't go as planned, of course, and all heck breaks loose.
**

I can see why many die-hard SGA-only fans don't like this book. It stars Sam Carter from SG1. She wasn't in SGA very long yet she is clearly the main character with all the SGA characters taking a backseat, except perhaps Rodney, who, for most of the book, didn't speak or act like the character in the show. He sort-of did, but then he was really off, as were most of the SGA characters. His relationship with Sam was not done like the show.

I could overlook it most of the time, but parts were really off--like having Keller quip, "Jesus!" when things suprised or bothered her. Or Rodney willingly sticking his hand into muck and bringing it to his face without much complaint while John whines, 'can we leave yet?' (please, please?) Or, having Ronon call Shep "John" instead of "Sheppard", and John calling him "Dex" instead of "Ronon". Teyla seemed the most like herself.

And then Angelus started out calling the humans "Tou'ri" (sp?) which I thought was Go'auld (sp?) and not Ancient and I thought only applied to specific groups of resistance fighters. I could be wrong but it was really weird to hear him say something I only associated with SG1.

I did like Zelenka's parts, despite him not sounding like himself. The part with he and Sam in the lab in the middle of the night was very creepy and probably my favorite part of the whole book. "What did you hear!" He nodded toward the monitor. "That." Been there. I know the sound they're describing. Very, very creepy!

Also, large chunks of the story star someone named Ellis who I presume was on SG1, a show I only watched part of, on the Apollo. While I can see the author having a legitimate reason to use these characters, it gave the whole novel more of the feel of an SG1 book and not an SGA book. Why didn't he just use Caldwell? Caldwell was on SGA a lot. I couldn't even picture Ellis.

Now, if I forget about all that above for a while and focus on the story itself. I can't believe I read this after dark. LOL. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares. It was a horror story pure and simple. Gross, scary, and then gory.

The writing itself was good. The imagery was strong. The villain was bad and the ultimate twists were pretty good. The editing wasn't the best but not the worst I've read.

All in all I think the people who will like this book the best are those who are fans of both SGA and SG1. I was surprised how much I did like it after all the bad things I've heard about it.

Still, it's not a keeper for me because ultimately the SGA was lacking and that's why I bought it in the first place. Too bad it has such a nice cover.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! Just one comment, though. The Apollo was the ship that took out the Replicator ships in the episode First Strike. Ellis is its commander, and he and the ship made appearances in First Strike, Adrift, Be All My Sins Remembered, and possibly a few others. :) I recently watched those episodes, so I remember his quite clearly. He's a black man and he's younger than Caldwell, I believe, and he is the one Sam Carter threatened to throw out of Atlantis if he ever again talked to any of her people like he'd just talked to Rodney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Really? I forgot about Ellis being in those episodes. He does sound familiar now. Still can't picture him. LOL.

    I still think Caldwell would have been a better choice for the book though.

    ReplyDelete