Saturday, December 4, 2010

Review: BARK! by Darrell Bain

I finished this a few days ago.

Summary: A weird weather phenomenon happened on the day of Tonto the wiener dog's conception and equal weirdness happened to the pup. Turns out aliens were landing in Texas and now Tonto is the only one on the entire planet that can tell them apart from all other life on Earth.


Tonto is billed as ADHD, cross-eyed and having one testicle. He seemed more obsessive-compulsive to me, but that doesn't stop him from being a hero.

This story is hilarious, thought-provoking and down-right strange. I loved it! Tonto is wonderful. All of the characters are unique and intersting. The plot is unusual and fun. It did end a bit abruptly but I think there may be a sequel.

The only downside to the story is it's chock-full of cussing. Yes, it fits the character that does most of it, but still, if you don't like copious amounts of cussing this might not be the story for you. Two of the characters also spent the entire story drunk.

I liked the aliens. I loved Tonto the dog. I liked all of the other characters. I've already bought a couple more of Mr. Bain's short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment