Monday, December 13, 2010

Just read: Ej-Es by Nancy Kress

This short SF story is unique, interesting and heartbreaking. The worldbuilding is excellent.

Summary: A team of future Marines/Peace Corp medics lands on a planet that's been decimated by a plague. No one is alive...or are they? Mia, a medic who's about to retire from active duty, finds survivors. But all isn't as it first seems. The survivors behave very strangely, talking to a mysterious Ej-Es and other things that aren't there.

Mia spearheads the investigation to what is really happening and then faces a choice that will change her life forever.

Review: Excellent short story. I really loved it. It was tense, exciting and I truly couldn't figure out what was going on until the bittersweet ending. Afterwards, I found out it was written for an anthology of stories based on lyrics from Janis Ian songs. Ej-Es is a play on Jessie. In the audio version it's pronounced "Edges".

I'm glad I read this. It's one that I'll remember for a long time. The themes are powerful. The characters are interesting. The worldbuilding made me stop and think. Very well done. I've always read Ms. Kress' writing articles, but now I'll look up her fiction, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment