Monday, November 29, 2010

Reviews: SGA: Death Game, I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916

Death Game

Summary: The Team goes to a new world, gets split up and beat up, and discovers that all isn't right in this isolated fuedal society when they get caught up in the Death Games.

Review:
Unlike most of the tie-in novels I've read from most of the shows I've followed, this one is a keeper for me. I really liked it. It made me cringe, laugh out loud, and feel for the characters. The characters were all true to canon to me.

It started right in the middle of the action and if you like Shep Whumping (getting bruised up) you'll probably like this one because he gets a concussion on page one and Teyla spends the whole book with a dislocated shoulder. Ouch!

Secondary characters get nice nods in the book, including: Cadman, Lorne, Zelenka and Carson. I thought they were all well-done. Most of the "issues" with tie-in novels stem from the feeling that the characters aren't true to the actors' portrayals or that the story deviates from established canon. In this story I personally couldn't point to anything that I could say didn't follow both or couldn't be justified to follow both.

I really liked Zelenka's stories. They brought his character a lot of depth and strength too. His interplay with Ronon was realistic to the show, for me, and often funny.

The bad? Some people may not like the backstory the author invented for Sheppard, though it does fit pretty well with his character and I liked most of it. Others have mentioned wondering why Carson would fly a Jumper instead of Lorne, but that didn't bother me. I chalk it up to Carson needing to practice sometime and since he was going on the mission anyway, Weir probably told him he had to do it. Just my thoughts though.

All in all I enjoyed this one so much more than the other SGA books I've read, admittedly I've only read three others. Something I intend to rectify after finishing Bark! I do own half a dozen or so of the SGA books and want to do a marathon. But I may only be able to do one or two more before January and another challenge.

>>>>>>>>>>>

I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916

Summary: In 1916 the first ever shark attacks on humans off the north-East Coast of America occurred. By some fluke of streams and bays, a shark or two also made their way inland and killed a couple of people. This book is the fictionalization of those true happenings. It's YA.

Review:

This is a very good book for a ten-year-old. Mine liked it enough to beg me to read it. I had no idea until I finished that it was based on a true story. The author did a great job making the situation and the characters come to life. I cared about the hero. It also has a bit of the lesson about not crying wolf in it.

Overall, it was good for the kids.

Currently reading:

Bark! by Darrel Bain and SGA: Angelus.

I decided to save the rest of my SFRs To Read until next year since Rae Lori is already setting up a 2011 SFR Reading Challenge. Go Rae!

If you want to see my To Read list or Have Read list look me up on Goodreads.com There're too many books to list here and I don't even have half of my boxed books listed.

Happy reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment