Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Stars Down Under (#13 SFR Challenge)

Hi!

Yes, I'm reading fast. It's summer. The books are short. This one had me rushing back to read every free second of my day, and I stayed up late. LOL.

The Stars Down Under by Sandra McDonald is the sequel to The Outback Stars, and an SFR (science fiction romance)but with an ending that is definitely SF, questionably R since I couldn't tell if it was truly happy or not.

You MUST read The Outback Stars first or this won't make sense. Seriously. This series cannot be read out of order.

The first book was very romantic with a HFN, while this one isn't quite so romantic and has a not-so-happy but hopeful ending that made me go Whoa! It's a good book and definitely advances the world and the characters. It was deep and heartrending in places. The h/h definitely love each other very much.

This series would make a terrific mini-series or long movie. It's chock full of Australian and Aboriginal myths and history.

The ending makes me wish I had the next book (The Stars Blue Yonder) just to find out what ultimately happens to Myell and Jodenny. This book drew some powerful emotions from me with questions of the meaning of love, destiny, and sacrifice. I learned things about Australia (where my Dad was born) that I didn't know.

Alas, I don't have the third book yet or I'd have started it at 11:30 pm last night immediately after finishing this one. It's $14.99 at the Sony ebook store! Yeah, I'll have to find a cheaper copy or wait for the paperback because that's way too much for an ebook for me, especially a fairly short one (this series averages around 330 pages each.) that I'll probably read in 2-4 days. Amazon only has the hardcopy. On payday I'll probably drive down to B&N to look for it so I don't have to wait.

My main quibble with this series is the books aren't long enough. LOL. I want to spend a lot more time in this world. However, each book is written concisely and everything is important to the story somehow. There isn't really room for extras.

Despite making me cry this book is a keeper and this series in on my auto-buy list.

My recommendation? Wait to read this series until you have at least the first three books available to read all in a row. That way you can jump right into the third book right after this one.


What's next on my reading list? I found the rest of the 2176 SFR series. I'm already on page 13 of book 2, Day of Fire by Kathleen Nance. At 372 pages it might take me a week, but given that the kids all have swim lessons for 45 minutes a day this week I may get to the third book quickly.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment