Friday, July 16, 2010

SFR Challenge #14--Day of Fire

Day of Fire is book #2 in the 2176 series started by The Legend of Banzai Maguire.

Written by Kathleen Nance, it's 372 pages, medium sized print. The people on the back cover don't look like the character descriptions.

This is the story of Mountie Day Daniels and plague hunter, Lian Firebird. Set in future post-apocolyptic Canada, it's definitely a Romance first, SF second. The SF if good, important, and sprinkled in realistically. I liked the characters, the mystery and the race against time. The bad guy was suitably bad.

This was a fairly fast read.

I admit one of my favorite parts was the Due South nod. (Due South was a TV show about a Mountie named Benton Fraser sent with his white wolf, Diefenbaker, south to Chicago on the trail of his father's murderers.) In this book Day's unofficial partner is a silver wolf named Benton Fraser.

On the SFR rainbow scale this novel falls well onto the more Romance than SF end of the spectrum. The romance was the main focus and the sf elements part of the world.

My opinion is anyone who enjoys the JD Robb In Death novels would really like this one.

So, what's next for me to read? I think I'm taking a break from this series since, as I've said before I mainly read SF and find I need a fix right now. I'm going to keep Unraveled by CJ Barry as my car book and pick a more sf book as my main one.

I don't know which yet, though. Grimspace? Touched by an Alien? Maybe a Litchenberg novel? I'll go in search right now and try to decide. The hard part is that of all the hundreds of sf novels I have I don't know for sure which would fit the challenge. I've heard the Honor Harrington books are SFR, the Valor series, the Forever War, the Chanur series. I don't know for sure though.

I'll pick one tonight and start.

Happy reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment